Job Title: Youth Program – Coordinator
Reports to: Senior Manager, Marketing and Outreach
Society for the Blind is currently seeking for a Youth Program Coordinator. Our mission is to empower individuals who are blind or have low vision to live productively and independently by building confidence through training, tools and mentorship. Society for the Blind is a 501c3 organization serving Northern California, with a focus on Sacramento, Placer and Yolo counties.
General Description: The essential functions of the job are to organize, coordinate and facilitate activities for the youth programs and ensure that there are positive learning situations particularly emphasizing best blindness practices and skill development throughout all programs as well as develop new programs to serve the area’s youth more consistently.
1. Coordinate all components of the various youth programs and ensure that their goals are properly implemented.
2. Develop efficient methods of assessment to measure progress toward goals.
3. Lead all activities and participate in the assessment process to ensure achievement of goals.
4. Outreach to teachers of youth who are blind or visually impaired and their parents for activity participation encouragement and support.
5. Outreach to youth who are in school and who are blind or visually impaired and encourage their participation in the youth programs.
6. Organize and facilitate the annual summer youth retreat, Blind Olympics, Braille Challenge, BEP/YEP Program and Technology Program including arrangements for facility, staff and activities and best blindness practices.
7. Organize and facilitate quarterly social activities for youth; implement a plan to create monthly social activities.
8. Promote skill building, mentorship and positive attitudes towards blindness throughout all youth programs.
9. Develop and lead a transitional youth program (BEP/YEP) while partnering with the Department of Rehabilitation for financial support and the community businesses for internship opportunities for youth.
10. Provide support to parents of youth and their teachers so that they can have access to additional resources including camps, summer programs, consumer organizations and community agencies.
11. Develop opportunities for youth to lead events, activities and grant proposals.
1. Attend all staff and department meetings.
2. Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
3. Stay current in areas of responsibility.
4. Other duties as required.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, Education or a related field or a minimum of 4 years related work experience.
2. A minimum of two years experience in working with blind youth and managing multifaceted training programs for the blind or visually impaired.
3. A team player who can work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Submit cover letter and resume by email only to Kathleen Shevlin, Senior Manager, Marketing and Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application’s deadline: Until the position is filled.