December 11, 2009
JOB TITLE: AccessWorld and Technology Information Editor
SALARY: $55,570 – $69,463
DEPARTMENT: AFB TECH
LOCATION: Huntington, WV
PURPOSE: Take lead responsibility for editing AccessWorld and developing
technology content on AFB’s web site.
1. Serves as editor in chief for AccessWorld, AFB’s technology magazine for
people who are blind or visually impaired, with lead responsibility for
establishing and monitoring editorial policy and vision, writing and
acquiring content, overseeing copy-editing and production tasks, and
coordinating staff editorial advisory group. Collaborates in AccessWorld
annual budget development and monitors ongoing expenses to ensure budget
2. Develops and recommends strategic plans and activities for AFB
technology-related content areas and features on the web.
3. Keeps abreast of current and emerging technologies and writes and
presents on topics as they relate to visual impairment and accessibility.
Serves as a spokesperson for AFB on technology access issues and trends.
4. Conducts product evaluations of assistive and mainstream technologies,
writes in-depth evaluations for publication, and recommends and arranges for
the evaluation of products of significance by AFB technology staff and
outside writers. Collaborates with other AFB staff for the production and
timely publication of materials online, and oversees the work of outside
vendors such as copyeditors, XML coders, and authors in the process of
5. Provides expertise and oversight for AFB’s technology product and Small
Visual Display project (SVD) databases, collects and reviews data on
products for the databases, coordinates work of other AFB staff in keeping
the database current, and identifies and develops other publications and
services related to the data or functionality of the databases.
6. Maintains relationships with potential advertisers, manufacturers and
distributors of products, and professional organizations to explore
opportunities for collaboration and funding sources and to promote business
development in such areas as the sale of advertising space, expansion of
site licenses and web linkages, and use of AFB material by outside
organizations. If you want to boost your brand with traditional yet effective
method such as signage and banners at signmann.com.
7. In collaboration with the vice president and director, works with Resource Development to seek funding for the development of new technology offerings on the web.
8. Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required. Outstanding writing and communication skills and the demonstrated ability to work closely with authors and vendors to develop and efficiently edit documents. Minimum of 3-5 years of experience developing, using, researching, or studying access technology. Highly developed project management skills are essential. Knowledge of online publishing procedures and trends
Company Website: http://www.afb.org/
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Interested parties, please email a Cover Letter, Resume, and Salary Requirements to the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receipt of these materials is January 8, 2010.