Organization: Craigslist Foundation
Job Title: Director of Events
Schedule: Full time
Location: San Francisco, CA
Date: August 23, 2009
Organizational Overview: Founded in 1999 to harness the tremendous goodwill generated bycraigslist.org, Craigslist Foundation connects people to opportunities, resources, and inspiration for building stronger, healthier communities and neighborhoods. At its core, Craigslist Foundation is a catalyst for community vitality. We connect people to opportunities and resources for making a positive difference in the world. We lift up stories that inspire people to build healthier neighborhoods and meaningful lives. We encourage hyper-local action on a global scale.
Over the past few years, we have moved beyond nonprofit capacity building to community building and expanded our reach to individuals and organizations–in all sectors–wanting to strengthen the community fabric of our culture. We are transcending competition beyond being one more voice in the social sector to being a primary partner nationally in igniting the resurgence of action for the public good. We are answering – and leading – the call to help build vital communities. Can you help us?
Position Overview: Craigslist Foundation is currently seeking an experienced and dynamic Director of Events responsible for the effective development and execution of a variety of strategic events, including the organization’s flagship annual conference, Boot Camp, presently held in the San Francisco Bay Area and tentatively scheduled for August 2010 at the UC Berkeley campus. The Director of Events will be responsible for creating a comprehensive events plan and strategy, in accordance with the organization’s strategic plan, managing the tactical implementation of all in-person events, and connecting these events and their content to the organization’s online initiatives.
* As a member of the executive team, work with the Deputy Director to develop the overarching vision and impact of Craigslist Foundation, including the role of events in achieving that impact
* Take charge of and manage the tactical execution of all events; develop production plans and time lines; work with the Deputy Director to develop and manage budgets; and oversee on-site logistics, operations, and any outside vendors
* Collaborate with the Deputy Director in the content development process to ensure consistency and integration of events with online programs
* Work with Deputy Director and other team members to identify, recruit, and engage partner organizations
* Manage and motivate all event staff and volunteers
* Secure and manage effective relationships with venues and vendors, sponsors, exhibitors, and presenters
* Create a collateral production strategy and time line, and manage vendors to ensure successful execution
* Administer, collect, and analyze evaluative data for all events, and suggest and implement ongoing improvements
* Ensure effective follow-up after each event, including production of marketing reports, sharing evaluation data with presenters, and continuing cultivation of event sponsors and partners
* Baccalaureate or higher degree expected
* Minimum 10-15 years experience in progressively responsible event or event-related positions preferred
* Demonstrated success creating comprehensive and strategic events plans
* Demonstrated success integrating offline and online programs
* Demonstrated success managing all aspects of large-scale events
* Demonstrated success planning and managing several events simultaneously
* Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills, and the ability to create systems and use technology effectively
* Experience working effectively with event sponsors and in-kind donors
* Demonstrated experience taking an event to scale on a multi-city, national basis
* Strong leadership skills and managerial experience, with the ability to manage through influence and make decisions under pressure
* Positive attitude, with the ability to deal with stressful situations, relationships, and individuals using professional judgment and tact
* Strong interpersonal and written communication skills and ability to converse and interact with thought leaders in the nonprofit, government, and business sectors.
* Self-directed and motivated, with the ability to work with minimal supervision and multitask to deliver under constant deadlines within an entrepreneurial environment
* Interest in and commitment to the social sector, business, government, philanthropy, and citizens working together to strengthen the communities and neighborhoods where they reside
* Proficiency in Google Docs and MS Office applications
* Willingness to travel periodically
To Apply: Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, communicating how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position, what your compensation expectations are, and how you heard about the opportunity, to: Mindy Galoob, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Director of Events”. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: Friday, September 18, 2009 but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with initial interviews to begin in early September.