JOB TITLE: Community Programs Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Development
SUPERVISES: Community Programs Coordinator, Childcare Providers
COMPENSATION: Exempt competitive salary, full health benefits, paid vacation and holiday
SCHEDULE: Tuesday – Saturday; occasional evenings will be required
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Community Programs Manager oversees the Center’s children and family services and all community programs, including information and referral, volunteer, community initiatives, and special projects. Overall responsibilities include program planning and evaluation, training and supervision of staff and volunteers, grant reporting. This position reports to the Director of Community Development and supervises the Community Programs Coordinator and Center’s Childcare Providers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Children and Family Services
• Manage the Center’s KidSpace Program which includes a drop-in childcare service (for children aged 0 – 12 but primarily aged 6 and under), children’s classes, children’s events, and collaborative whole-family events within the LGBT Community. Duties include program planning and evaluation, event planning, logistics coordination, participant documentation oversight and program promotion.
• Provide supervision and training of childcare providers responsible for delivering drop-in childcare services and teachers for classes. Ensure child-centered and culturally –appropriate activities with child participants individually and/or as a group for infants to children.
• Maintain overall communication with parents of children participating in program. Ensure that childcare providers and teachers sustain relationships with parents, conducting parent/teacher consultations as needed and ensuring parents/guardians understand and follow policies and procedures while children are participating in program.
• Develop and execute outreach strategies promoting all events and KidSpace program. These may include but are not limited to: developing marketing materials, distribution, community engagement and other strategies.
• Collaborate with community partners to plan and implement joint events and initiatives, and to coordinate logistics where programs intersect.
Information and Referral Program
• Manage information and referral program which provides person to person, telephone and electronic communication to the public regarding center and community offerings. Duties include development of protocols and procedures, program planning, and program evaluation.
• Oversee the Center’s welcome desk including reception, referral, and outreach services ensuring excellent customer service delivery. Oversee schedule of welcome desk coverage by staff and volunteers; provide occasional back up coverage.
• Ensure client services tracking and oversee maintenance of on-line and in-house referral database; oversee the collection of accurate statistics for reporting purposes
• Maximize the public access to community resources available via the Center including, bulletin boards, provision of collateral material in public areas of the facility, and other strategies.
• Facilitate communication and collaboration between staff/volunteers, facility/security staff in efforts to ensure safety of all center users.
• Work with individuals and groups in the community to develop programming around specific and/or broad community issues. Ensure initiatives develop program/activities in line with the Center’s mission and priorities, oversee and strategize with initiatives around outreach/recruitment, promotion and marketing, implementation of activities, logistics planning and evaluation. Work directly with community group chairs to manage group process and conflicts as they arise.
• Build protocols for established groups and for the development of new community initiatives. Work with Center staff and community constituents to identify program and outreach priorities for new or expanded programming and initiate outreach efforts and based on identified priorities.
• Develop community programs & responses on current events and community issues including: lectures, readings, town hall meetings, celebrations, marches and/or media responses and press conferences.
• Supervise all aspects of the center’s volunteer program, including recruiting, screening, training, supervising, and scheduling volunteers and interns for all departments. Oversee creation of volunteer job descriptions, conflict management, communication between the Center and volunteers and volunteer appreciation.
• Oversee short and long term plans to increase volunteer participation in all aspects of the Center’s programs and services.
• Oversee trainings addressing issues of diversity, communication and community building in the LGBT Community. Ensure facilitation of ongoing new volunteer orientations by staff coordinating program.
• Oversee Center Pride month activities, including kick off, parade contingent, float and booth.
• Supervise the Community Programs Coordinator, Childcare Providers, interns, volunteers and contractors assisting on community programs.
• Coordinate special projects including development of long and short term plans, budgets, implementation of programs, and evaluation.
• Provide reports, statistics, written narratives, and other administrative documentation required by Director of Community Development
• Actively participate as a member of the Community Programs team providing support to Center staff when appropriate.
• Other duties assigned by Director of Community Development
• Occasional work on evenings and Sundays will be required.
Qualifications & Experience
1. Commitment to the mission of the San Francisco LGBT Community Center. Experience and commitment to working in a multicultural environment.
2. Minimum two years experience working in community organizing, volunteer management, and/or program coordination. Demonstrated ability to work with a broad cross-section of the LGBT community.
3. Previous experience in working with children of LGBT families preferred but not required.
4. Strong communication and conflict resolution skills, ability to maintain confidentiality.
5. Excellent customer-service abilities. Outgoing and engaging personality.
6. Strong supervision skills.
7. Ability to work independently, collaboratively with supervisor or as part of a team in a fast paced environment. Experience working collaboratively with multiple agencies desired.
8. TB test and criminal background checks will be required if employment is offered.
9. Computer/PC literacy, including Internet proficiency, FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Office software and networked systems.
10. Fluency in English is required. Bilingual or ASL skills highly desired.
11. The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and lift objects up to 30 pounds. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
The San Francisco LGBT COMMUNITY CENTERThe mission of the Center is to develop programs and services that welcome the entire diversity of the LGBT community; unite our community across lines of religion, age, race, gender and economics; give visibility to the history and culture of all the diverse parts of our community; foster discussion and planning for our political and cultural future; and nurture new and start-up organizations to meet emerging community needs.