POSITION: Volunteer Engagement Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Services
At the LightHouse, we appreciate the value of every volunteer who walks through our doors. Volunteers can power and enliven programs, support and enable staff to focus on their core responsibilities. Their contributions, when properly acknowledged, can yield rewards both altruistic and financial. The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is looking for an emotionally intelligent, mission-driven Volunteer Engagement Specialist to join the LightHouse team, in the heart of downtown San Francisco. The successful employee will find innovative ways to link public-spirited people and companies to the needs of individual blind people across nine bay area counties. From browsing a farmer’s market with a blind foodie, to beautifying our 300 acre Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa, volunteers help the LightHouse achieve its mission, as they have for 115 years. With more than 100 employees and an annual budget of $13 million, the LightHouse has the resources and imagination to help change the lives of the blind and low-vision population of the greater bay area and beyond.
One of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, we’re operating from a new, state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street. Here we coordinate students, volunteers, teachers, families, tech and a caring staff, to design, support and build new ways in which to help people with visual impairments.
The Volunteer Engagement Specialist is responsible for recruiting, training, assigning, evaluating and retaining LightHouse volunteers. Additionally,
the person filling this role is responsible for the upkeep of volunteer files, data management and policies. Ongoing communication with and coordination
of volunteers to assist them in serving in their volunteers roles is critical. The VES will facilitate individual volunteerism, as well as welcome and coordinate volunteer groups at our Market Street headquarters, and LightHouse satellite offices across the bay area. The person filling this role will
proactively reach out to organizations and other entities for the purposes of volunteer recruitment and other stakeholder recruitment, including volunteerism by the blind community itself. Some travel in northern California will be necessary.
Education or equivalent: BA preferred.
Experience: A minimum of three years in a position where public interaction was a core component of the role. Demonstrated experience in coordinating complex programs with multiple stakeholders. Demonstrated experience in effectively balancing speaking, outreach, training and/or communications with high-level administrative functions, such as policy compliance and data management. Proficiency in use of databases preferred. Experience working with individuals with disabilities preferred.
Other: Computer literate in a Windows/MS Office. Excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills. Supreme attention to presenting a professional demeanor. Unflagging dedication to prompt and proficient verbal and written communication. Must be able to demonstrate ability to be a team player and must be highly adaptable. Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to staff, Board Members, volunteers, blind/visually impaired clients and persons in the community with varied backgrounds and viewpoints. Must have the discipline and organizational savvy to develop new methods to track volunteering, and to communicate regularly with all volunteers and supporting organizations.
Must be able to: Carry or transport 20 lbs.; sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
- Develop, review and/or maintain volunteer criteria for LightHouse volunteer roles.
- Respond to all communications (email, telephone, walk-in) promptly, and adhere strictly to Agency expectations set forth regarding this duty.
- Work with LightHouse staff to review, update and/or eliminate volunteer positions, depending on the ongoing needs of the Agency and communicate changes to volunteers, as needed.
- Maintain and synchronize volunteer records, including files, databases and volunteer timesheets (Salesforce online database).
- Create and maintain mechanisms for tracking volunteer participation and the number of volunteers active in various sectors of the Agency at any given time; create and maintain a system for tagging lapsed volunteers as inactive; and provide regular reports on volunteer numbers and activities to management staff.
- Proactively create and provide presentations and outreach for the purposes of recruiting qualified volunteers and promoting awareness of LightHouse services among potential clients and/or blind/visually impaired volunteers.
- Coordinate and facilitate scheduled volunteer training for prospective Personal Services Volunteers (PSVs) and other Agency volunteers.
- Work with all LightHouse departments to ensure PSV needs are being met, waiting lists for PSVs are minimal and volunteers assigned are an appropriate fit for clients.
- Complete annual client survey assessing the impact of PSVs.
- Complete annual volunteer survey assessing the experience of volunteers.
- Identify, coordinate and facilitate volunteer retention initiatives, including volunteer recognition events, web-site recognition and other acknowledgement.
- Maintain volunteer policy/procedures manual with all current volunteer policies, updating policies and procedures as needed, and ensuring volunteer files are in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Work with the Community Service (and Development) team to link volunteer initiatives with Agency initiatives, including recruiting volunteers to assist at events and inspiring volunteers to become donors and/or fundraise on behalf of the LightHouse.
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to email@example.com, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.