In 2014, the LightHouse reached a settlement with Redbox Automated Retail LLC, which required Redbox to improve accessibility of their movie rental kiosks in California. As a result of the lawsuit, Redbox agreed to make its approximately 3,600 movie and video game rental kiosks accessible to blind users. You can now browse, select and return movies with headphones and a text-to-speech interface controlled via touchpad, thanks to careful collaboration between LightHouse and Redbox. Now, Redbox wants to make sure its accessibility measures are working to meet the needs of its blind users. And that’s where you come in.
Help the LightHouse as we continue to ensure accessibility of Redbox movie rental kiosks! Sign up to become a tester and try out Redbox’s new platform for accessibility. We have completed the first round of tests and need additional participants.
You’ll be asked to test the following functions to determine its effectiveness for blind users:
- Accessing information with the user interface touch pad
- Browsing through options and locate your desired movie
- Renting a movie
- Returning a movie
- Participants will be compensated with a $150 Visa gift card upon completion of the study survey
What is required:
- Two visits to a Redbox kiosk convenient to your location. Redbox Kiosks are located outside and inside supermarkets and retail centers throughout CA and can be found via www.redbox.com
- Independently operate the kiosk functions and go through the tasks without sighted assistance
- Headphones to hear the speech output prompts
- Debit or credit card to pay for the movie rental
- Provide your transportation to and from the kiosk location
- Two visits are needed to complete the study, one visit to rent the movie and one visit to return the movie.
- Allow approximately 20 minutes per visit to navigate the interface, to browse, rent and/or return the movie
- Please be aware that other customers may wish to use the kiosk during the study
- After each visit, you must complete a survey with your findings
- The initial testing period will take place from January 12 through January 26. Note that there will be three additional test periods in April, July and October 2018.
Sign up to become a tester by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by May 12. Please note that you are responsible for your transportation to and from Redbox kiosks and incur the normal risks associated with your travel. Testers must be 18 years or older.