The San Francisco LightHouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired is a proud partner with the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) and the Anthem Foundation in rolling out the 2017 National Fitness Challenge (NFC) in the Bay Area.
The campaign provides 25 participants with Fitbits to track their steps and fitness activity from March through November 2017. The goal of the NFC is to raise the fitness and activity levels of participants to recommendations set by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) of 10,000 steps and 30 active minutes per day and to improve overall fitness levels in the blind and low vision community.
In addition to helping participants find creative ways to increase their daily steps by matching them with fitness partners and offering discounted gym memberships, the LightHouse supports participants throughout the course of the campaign with a wide variety of fitness programming and services. We also organize attendance to special events, including VIP access to the annual Cycle for Sight tandem bike ride in Napa on Saturday, April 22 and joining a blind centipede in San Francisco’s annual Bay to Breakers run on Sunday, May 21.
At the LightHouse, you can:
- Connect with a running guide or be otherwise matched with a partner to support your fitness goals
- Join SF Fitness at a deep discount of only $10 per month
- Practice yoga with instructor Kimm Ropicky
- Put movement into your meditation with qi gong
- Learn to tap dance
- Sharpen your kitchen skills and learn to make healthy and economical meals in our cooking classes
- Get FREE technology training to finally figure out that gadget or app that enhances fitness and well-being
- Visit our Adaptations store to peruse products of all kinds that will allow you to monitor your health and keep portion distortion in check
- Enjoy the great outdoors whitewater rafting or sea kayaking (this year’s dates TBA)
- Get your steps in by marching with the LightHouse in the annual Pride parade
Blindness is not the barrier many think it is to achieving your fitness goals and enjoying greater well-being — and the LightHouse is here to help get into the rhythm. It’s not too late to join the NFC if you already have a Fitbit — we welcome new participants to join throughout the campaign.
For more information on the National Fitness Challenge, LightHouse services mentioned here, Cycle for Sight or Bay to Breakers, contact Evening & Weekend Program Coordinator Serena Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-694-7316.