You are in the following section of the site:
Please note that items available online are continually being updated. You may wish to contact the LightHouse Information and Resource Center to ensure you have accessed the most recent version of a document. Resources are available at the LightHouse’s San Francisco office in alternative formats (large print, Braille or audio CD). Documents can be ordered at no charge by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For specific information, please review the following links and documents:
Talking books, books-on-tape, digital books, podcasts, reading services, etc.
- National Federation for the Blind Newsline Their toll-free Newsline allows you to listen to hundreds of newspapers and magazines if you cannot access print versions.
- AMDF Reading Services A listing of Reading Services in California.
- IAAIS International Association of Audio Information Services offers a comprehensive list of all audio information services with web sites and links to them. To find out more, call 1-800-280-5325 or visit http://iaais.org/findservices.html
- Podcast Resources.doc What podcasts are, how to listen, where to find them.
- Beyond Books on Tape: DAISY Books This website provides a useful explanation of talking books especially formatted for the visually impaired and others who rely on audio reading.
- National Library Service Braille and Talking Books Program Through a national network of cooperating libraries, NLS administers a free library program of Braille and audio materials circulated to eligible borrowers in the United States by postage-free mail.
- California State Library Braille and Talking Books Program An NLS cooperating library, the California BTBP loans Braille, cassette and talking books, digital books, magazines and playback equipment to Northern Californians unable to read conventional print.
- SFPL Library for the Blind and Print Disabled An NLS cooperating library serving San Francisco residents.
- Bookshare provides the world’s largest online library of accessible reading materials for people with print disabilities.
- Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (Learning Ally) With titles available in every subject area and grade level, RFB&D’s digitally recorded audio textbooks on CD and downloadable audio textbooks help students challenged by the printed page.
- ReadHowYouWant Customized and downloadable large print, Braille and DAISY books.
- ACB Radio offers the blind community five channels of content that can be heard using free software on your computer.
- Audible The widest selection of digital audio books available for download.