POSITION: Prize Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
WC CLASS: Clerical
HOURS: 22 hours/week
In 2017, the LightHouse for the Blind in San Francisco unveiled a bold, unprecedented prospect for our global visually impaired community: The Holman Prize for Blind Ambition. The prize provides financial backing for three blind or low-vision individuals each year to explore the world and complete a year-long project of their dreams. In addition to our signature Holman Prize, the LightHouse is establishing a series of other awards top debut during our 2018 LightHouse Gala and beyond.
To manage the process, the LightHouse is seeking a smart, socially minded, creative individual to have overall responsibility for these prizes, from initial submissions all the way through to project management of the prizewinners. The Holman Prize provides significant opportunities to create ad invent methods of communication and project management which will work best for the worldwide blind community.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor or graduate degree.
- 2 years of work experience in a field such as non-profit, development, communications, or media
- Ability and comfort working with diverse populations and overcoming barriers such as language and cultural norms
- Meticulously organized
- Patient and graceful when working with people
- Tech savvy (We use Google Drive, WordPress, MailChimp and others to administer the Prize)
- Sound judgement and a collaborative attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communicator
- Experience with email marketing and social media
- Event coordination
- Familiarity with blindness
- Nuanced understanding of disability or ability to learn
- Organize and compile mailing lists, records, videos, and all other submissions.
- Promote promising pitches, flag inappropriate content, and make weekly presentations on the state of the competition.
- Serve as an informed liaison to the international blindness community and troubleshoot issues with access, technology, and language barriers.
- Generate excitement within both the blindness community and with the general public about the prize.
- Participate in the selection process.
- Research, recruit and coordinate with members of the Holman Judging committee.
- Investigate veracity of applicants.
- Download all submission videos
- Respond promptly to all candidate and applicant questions
- Write and manage blog
- Encourage applicants to re-apply
- Identify and pursue sponsorship prospects
- Secure in-kind donations for prizewinners
- Help spread the word about successful sponsorships
- Serve as project manager for Holman Prizewinners
- Coordinate Welcome Week itinerary and activities
- Coordinate logistics surrounding the gala weekend
- Edit and advise on each prizewinner’s documentation of their project
- Prep with prizewinners for Gala presentation
- Assist at LightHouse events
- Other duties as assigned (some nights and weekends)
The LightHouse seeks an individual with enthusiasm for and capability to be an “evangelist” for LightHouse services and the transformative effect we can have on the lives of individuals who are blind. Dedication to learning the latest trends and practices in the blindness field, including ongoing reading of current literature; attention to the wisdom of various blindness groups; and familiarity with the history of the blindness and disability movement. Personal initiative, curiosity about people, a sense of humor and a strong team-oriented style.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Please send your resume and cover letter in Word to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.