April 3-7, 2017 (All day)
The LightHouse's five-day immersion training program at the Enchanted Hills Retreat in Napa brings together up to 14 adult students of all ages (18 and up), from Northern California and the Central Valley, who are either new to low vision or blindness, or have had a significant change in vision and requested additional training.
The focus of training throughout the week is presented in four to five sessions per day that include:
- Ways to read printed materials
- Understanding how lighting, contrast and magnification can help you every day
- Techniques for organizing and labeling in your home or office
- Best methods for note-taking
- Basic cooking skills
- Traveling and moving safely and confidently in your home and in the community
- Understanding how accessible computer and other low tech equipment can enhance your life
- Evening discussions to focus inward and discuss how to hold yourself accountable on your journey, practice self-advocacy and help friends, family and partners understand/support you and your path
Every person and every group of students that come together are different. Blind or low vision students who are interested should have a genuine interest in learning the skills to move forward, enjoy learning with a group of peers and be able to participate in a full day of active learning and physical participation from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day. CVCL I will help you understand what is available to you and allow you to get hands-on with new skills. But more than anything, CVCL brings students a renewed confidence in experiencing changing vision. While the experience is different for everyone, students benefit from connecting with other blind or low vision adults, both students and teachers, to learn or relearn skills and to get back into the swing of life.
Students live in comfortable shared accommodations (minimum two to a room) and are provided three meals per day. We also offer transportation to Napa from San Francisco, Berkeley, San Rafael and Eureka.
Fee for Training: $1,300 for five days and $100 for round trip transportation. There is no cost to attend if you are 55 or older and living in San Francisco, Alameda, Marin, Humboldt or Del Norte counties and limited scholarships are available for persons under 55 and not eligible for Department of Rehabilitation Services.
The Changing Vision Changing Life Immersion Training is open to adults who are ready for a jump start or, a recharge as vision has changed. Interested? Contact LightHouse staff in San Francisco, San Rafael or Eureka:
In San Francisco: Debbie Bacon, Rehabilitation Counselor, 415-694-7357 or email@example.com.
In San Rafael: Jeff Carlson, Social Worker, 415-258-8496 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Eureka: Janet Pomerantz, Social Worker, 707-268-5646 or email@example.com.