Position: Health and Wellness Program Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Community Services
Job Type: Full-time
The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is looking for an energetic, mission-driven Health and Wellness Program coordinator to join the LightHouse team, in the heart of downtown San Francisco. The successful employee will find innovative ways to link the blind and low vision community with increasing opportunities to be healthy and fit in a society that is becoming more and more health conscientious. With more than 100 employees and an annual budget of $13.5 million, the LightHouse has the resources and imagination to help change the lives of the blind and low-vision population of the greater bay area and beyond.
One of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, we’re operating from a new, state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street. Here we coordinate students, volunteers, teachers, families, tech and a caring staff, to design, support and build new ways in which to help people with visual impairments.
Job Purpose: The Health and Wellness Program Coordinator is responsible for educating and facilitating health and wellness programs and activities for blind and low vision students and community members. The coordinator is responsible for creating and maintaining health and fitness programming that will span across all ages served at the LightHouse for the Blind.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation, Exercise Physiology, Adaptive Physical Education, or blindness-related field; or, at least five (5) years’ experience with adaptive athletics or instruction of recreational and athletic opportunities for individuals with disabilities (preferably visually impaired/blind)
- A Personal Trainer or Strength and Conditioning Certification is preferred
- First aid and CPR certified
- Ability to take a creative and flexible approach to problem solving
- Possess a high degree of initiative, sound judgment and sensitivity in maintaining confidential materials and discretion
- Demonstrated experience in effectively balancing speaking, outreach, training and/or communications with high-level administrative functions, such as policy compliance and data management
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities, preferred
- Computer literate in Windows/MS Office
- Excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Supreme attention to presenting a professional demeanor
- Unflagging dedication to prompt and proficient verbal and written communication
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to be a team player and must be highly adaptable
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to staff, Board Members, volunteers, blind/visually impaired clients and persons in the community with varied backgrounds and viewpoints
- Coordinate a variety of health and fitness classes that are relevant and of interest to the San Francisco Bay area blind and low vision community
- Conduct outreach to the blindness community to determine viability of, and interest in, new health and fitness programs.
- Independently research opportunities to build strategic partnerships for the purpose of enriching and expanding the reach of the Health and Wellness program
- Instruct individuals and groups in the facilitation of exercise, sports and recreation programs
- Advise participants on exercise programs and assist students with exercises
- Monitor the safety and well-being of participants
- Ability to assess and track client progress through measurable goals and objectives
- Maintain, track, and submit monthly billing as appropriate to program funding source
- Maintain an integrative approach with LightHouse’s mission and purpose
- Maintain appropriate cleanliness, sanitation of the equipment and facilities, including monitoring the equipment care and maintenance
- Provide off-site or on-site supervision of all health and wellness activities and program support for those staff providing health and wellness activities
- Establish and oversee community partners in each of LightHouse’s training communities for the furthering of opportunities for blind individuals to have access to sports, and health and wellness activities
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that they are representatives of the LightHouse
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize assignments
- Consistently report to work on time and be ready to begin performing assigned duties and responsibilities
- Provide First Aid or CPR if necessary
- Attend staff meetings and departmental briefings as requested
- Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy
- Other duties may also be assigned or re-assigned according to candidate’s skill set
Regular weekend assignments; occasional evening assignments; must be able to carry or transport 20lbs; able to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to email@example.com, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.