POSITION: Employment Specialist
REPORTS TO: Employment Immersion Manager
WC CLASS: Administrative/Clerical
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is one of the most progressive blindness agencies in the world. A private 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, LightHouse’s mission is to promote the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. We do this through teaching, consulting, community building and advocacy in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, with more than 100 employees and an increased capacity to carry out our mission. In addition to direct services and blindness skills training, we invest in new technology, consult on design for blind consumers, and work to de-stigmatize blindness around the world.
The LightHouse is seeking a full-time individual to collaborate with the Employment Immersion Team during a transitional period of the Program. The primary purpose of this job is to work with Employment Immersion students participating in two key phases: of the Program: Job Preparation and Job Development.
Under the direct supervision of the Employment Immersion Manager, the Employment Specialist will assist students to secure employment through implementation of the established Program Curriculum.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent and relevant work experience
- Experience working as an Employment Specialist/Job Developer in the disabled community a plus
- Knowledge of the employment process a plus
- Familiarization with ADA requirements a plus
- Familiarity with Accessible Technology software a plus
Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Working efficiently and calmly under pressure. Quick effective problem solving. Highly organized with capability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines with minimal oversight. Superior ability to network and liaise between multiple parties simultaneously. Strong written and verbal communication.
Other: Personal initiative. Curiosity about people, a sense of humor and a strong team-oriented style. Enthusiasm for LightHouse services and the transformative effect we have on the lives of individuals who are blind or have low vision.
Sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
- Assist students in the crafting of resume: Collect data pertaining to employment/volunteer experience, skills/transferrable skills, education, etc.in template format for student use.
- Instruct and guide student in Job Search techniques: Job Boards (Private and Government) Hidden Job Market and Networking (including assistance with creating LinkedIn profiles) when indicated). Assist with on-line applications and exams.
- Instruct student in techniques for creating cover letters.
- Instruct student in techniques of tailoring resumes and cover letters to meet the needs of prospective employers using Position Descriptions of jobs to which they are applying.
- Participate in role-play activities with EI Team member and student to hone student interview skills.
- Record student activity in database for use in creating Progress Reports.
- Act as “back-up” to Job Group Facilitator when required.
- Confer and collaborate with management and members of the EI Team, Lighthouse staff and DOR Counselors to ensure superior student experience.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments must be formatted as Word Documents or accessible PDFs. No undescribed image files please.