POSITION: Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Scott Blanks, Senior Director of Programs
WC CLASS: Clerical
The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, located in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a full-time Administrative Assistant to step into a unique role in our ever-expanding organization. You’ll be working closely with the Community Services and Access Technology departments on daily tasks. We are a fun, fascinating, and widely diverse community of warm and friendly folks. We work in a beautiful new building in downtown San Francisco, steps from the Civic Center Bart stop, with spectacular views from our top floor offices.
Education: A college degree is a plus.
- At least two years’ experience in an administrative support position, or related field. A background in non-profits is highly desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, flexible, detail-oriented.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of emotional intelligence to relate to staff, board members, volunteers, and students with disabilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with precision and a high degree of organization.
- Ability to read English aloud in a clear and rapid manner is highly desirable. This position will often assist blind employees through reading visual materials.
- Very strong Microsoft Office suite skills, particularly Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience working with people with disabilities is a plus.
- Strong familiarity with social media is a plus.
Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Working efficiently and calmly under pressure. Quick and effective problem solving. Highly organized with capability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines with minimal oversight. Superior ability to network and liaise between multiple parties simultaneously. Strong written and verbal communication. Demonstrated ability to negotiate with venues and vendors to secure the best available event pricing and services.
Other: Personal initiative. Curiosity about people, a sense of humor and a strong team-oriented style. Enthusiasm for LightHouse services and the transformative effect we have on the lives of individuals who are blind or have low vision.
Able to carry or transport 20 lbs; sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
- Provide administrative support to Lighthouse Community Service (CS) and Access Technology (AT) directors who are blind or have low vision.
- Prepare, edit and proof correspondence for LightHouse directors as assigned, including writing letters, reports and minutes of meeting; formatting, mailing, printing and producing in alternative media.
- Assist blind and low-vision employees with rapid completion of paperwork, purchases, authorizations and other paper-based tasks.
- Provide online assistance for inaccessible websites, as directed, to complete documents such as time-sheets, purchase orders and receipt back-ups for expense reporting.
- Input student intake information into online database.
- Provide reader services for blind and low-vision staff of the CS and AT departments
- Other Duties: Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All attachments must be formatted as Word Documents or accessible PDFs. No undescribed image files please.