Like movies with audio description? Want to contribute to the accessibility of the AMC Theatres audio description experience for blind patrons?
LightHouse is seeking a limited number of committed, detail-oriented Bay Area and Los Angeles residents over age 18 for a multi-part, paid usability testing project.
In 2017, the LightHouse settled a lawsuit with AMC Theatres wherein AMC agreed to ensure that audio description equipment was installed and properly maintained in all theaters.
This study is part of the continued collaboration between LightHouse and AMC to ensure straightforward and seamless access to audio description for all theater patrons. Study participants will document information about the audio description experience at pre-selected AMC theaters in the Bay Area and Los Angeles between September 1, 2018 and April 1, 2019.
Please apply to participate in this study if you can commit to the following:
- Attend eight (8) movies at pre-selected AMC theater locations between September 1, 2018 and April 1, 2019.
- Complete a detailed task list and document your findings from each of the eight theater visits. Some task examples are:
- Pre-visit preparation
- Check the AMC website and app to find a movie with audio description then call the theater to learn whether staff can provide information about the service for the desired movie.
- Experience at the theater and during a movie
- Determine whether the audio description equipment is properly functioning.
- Post movie survey
- Complete and submit a survey about your experience within 48 hours of attending each movie.
- Detailed instructions will be sent if you are selected for study participation.
If you are interested in participating, please follow this link to locate the application form. Because this study requires clearly written information with your findings, the form contains an opportunity to demonstrate your writing skills. Please carefully consider your availability during the study period before applying, as we wish to locate individuals who will commit to attending all eight (8) movies, taking notes on experiences and documenting findings by completing the post theater visit survey.
What’s in it for you?
- Eight free movie passes (one for each of the eight movies you will attend)
- $50 for each post theater visit survey you complete and submit
- The satisfaction of helping improve the audio description accessibility experience for blind and low-vision AMC patrons nationwide
If you would like to participate in this study and believe you can commit to the requirements, please follow the link below.